Hubbly bubbly, Sisha, hookah or in Arabic: “Argilah”, the water-pipe is a common tool to smoke different flavors of tobacco in Jordan. What is it and where can you smoke the best Sisha in Jordan?
Preparing the Sisha
How do you prepare the best sisha? Learn from the locals in Jordan and use the following tips and tricks:
- Fire up! Get some coals from your BBQ or put some on the fire. In the meanwhile you can continue with prepping your pipe.
- Fill the bottle with cool water. You can also add ice-cubes, slices of lemon or some mint to the water for an extra fresh taste.
- Fill the head of the Sisha with the tobacco of your taste. Put a piece of foil on top and prick small holes in there so the air can go through.
- Make sure all pieces are well connected. Put some small coals on top of the foil and suck the air through the tube. You’ll see smoke coming into the bottle above the water.
- While smoking, sometimes it becomes ‘very heavy’. Instead of leaving it, you can go another round by taking the head off and blow in it from the other side.
- If you’re sitting outside, you can protect the coals from blowing off by either wrapping some foil around the head of the water-pipe or use the little wind-shield that came with the sisha.
- Drink a small cup of Turkish coffee along with your sisha like a real pro.
For this blog we went out and captured the process with a how-to photoguide:
Buying a sisha in Jordan
There are many shops to buy your sisha in Jordan. If you are looking to take this souvenir home, consider buying a full set so you can enjoy it at home. A complete set contains:
- The sisha itself
- A good tube and some plastic mouth pieces if you are planning to share it with others
- Spare parts such as rubbers and ceramic top-pieces
- Tobacco – keep in mind the regulations of your home country (or next destination) to prevent hassle at the airport!
- The big tweezers to handle hot coals.
- A rag to clean it after use
- A small metal basket so you can burn your coals on the fire.
- A bag that fits the sisha and all parts exactly, perfect when you want to take it to the beach or on a picnic!
Another tip to clean the tube: put a bit of water inside and sling it while holding both ends. Blow out the water and there you go, ready for the next round!
Types of tobacco
The most common enjoyed flavor is double apple. You’ll find it available everywhere. But there’s also the Zaglool – a cigar like taste where the coals are put directly on top of the tobacco (without foil.) But there’s a range of other flavors as well. The tobacco shop can even mix your favorite flavors. Some popular combinations are lemon and mint or watermelon that tastes like sweet sweet bubblegum. But you can also go for something more tropical, for example with a combination of coconut, mango and peach flavor.
Where to smoke a sisha in Jordan:
Almost everyone has a sisha at home in Jordan. In most restaurants in Jordan the water-pipe is part of the menu. But also Bedouins in the most remote places can prepare it for you. In Papaya Restaurant in Aqaba (Pizza street) you will find a beautifully crafted sisha with different and unique flavors. Sisha Way in Amman – the name already says it, serves different kind of sisha’s. Or visit [email protected], LEMON Jordan or just hop in where-ever you see other people smoking their sisha’s!
Looking for a customized program with visits to beautiful places, good restaurants and the highlights of Jordan? Contact our Jordan destination experts for a custom-made trip!
Disclaimer: don’t smoke tobacco if you are too young to do so, or if you have an addictive personality. It can become a first step to smoking real cigarettes!
Do you have a sisha yourself? Did we miss any tips and tricks? Comment below!